Saturday, May 7, 2005
8:30 a.m.—3 p.m.
Register on site at the workshop.
Physician speakers, plus survivor/caregiver roundtables.
Sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc.
HealthPark, Lee Memorial Health System
9981 South HealthPark Drive
Fort Myers, Florida 33908
(At the intersection of Summerlin Road and Bass Road. Turn into the
HealthPark entrance from Bass Rd.)
- Ernest L. Mazzaferri, M.D., F.A.C.P., Endocrinologist, is President-Elect of the American Thyroid Association and a specialist in thyroid cancer. He is a member of ThyCa's Medical Advisory Council. Dr. Mazzaferri is Professor of Medicine at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, member of University of Florida Shands Cancer Center, and Emeritus Professor and Chair of Internal Medicine at The Ohio State University. He is author of numerous publications for professional audiences, he also wrote the foreword for the patient education reference book, Thyroid Cancer: A Guide for Patients.
- Robert C. Smallridge, M.D., Endocrinologist, is Professor of Medicine at Mayo Medical School, as well as Chair of the Endocrinology Division at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. A graduate of the Medical College of Virginia, he completed further training at Grady-Emory University Veterans Affairs Hospitals and Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Dr. Smallridge is the author of many publications and is a member of the American Thyroid Association’s Publications Committee.
- Frank Bireley, ThyCa Volunteer, Fort Myers, Florida
- Sally Fontaine, Thyca Suncoast Support Group Co-Facilitator, Fort Myers, Florida
- Jon Guljord, ThyCa Volunteer, Melbourne, Florida
- Leah Guljord, ThyCa Assistant Board Chair and ThyCa Spacecoast Support Group Facilitator, Melbourne, Florida
- Jan Scheuerman, ThyCa Suncoast Facilitator, Cape Coral, Florida
Available during the day, in addition to our speakers:
• Talk about Thyrogen (recombinant TSH) with representative of Genzyme
• Talk about insurance issues with an insurance patient advocate
Morning Goodies provided by Lee Memorial Health System - Lee Cancer Care
|9:15 am||Welcoem and Introductions|
|9:30 am||Support Group Roundtables:
A. Papillary, Follicular, Variants, Anaplastic: Sally Fontaine
B. Medullary: Frank Bireley
C. Caregivers/Friends: Jon Guljord
D. Low Iodine Diet: Leah Guljord
|10:15-11:45 a.m.||Topic: Research Advances in Thyroid Cancer Diagnosis, Treatment, and Follow-Up.
Robert C. Smallridge, M.D.
|11:45 am-1:00 pm||
Lunch and Learn Roundtables
|1:00-2:30 pm||Doctor/Researcher Perspective: Thyroid Cancer Care and Research.
Ernest L. Mazzaferri, M.D., F.A.C.P.
|2:30-3:00 pm||Survivors/Caregivers Roundtable. Closing and feedback.|
For more information:
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association is a national all-volunteer non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization of thyroid cancer survivors, family members, and health care professionals, dedicated to support, communication, and education for thyroid cancer survivors, their families, and friends.
ThyCa, P.O. Box 1545, New York, NY 10159-1545.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Web site: www.thyca.org