There will be three meeting rooms (A, B, and C).
8:00 – 9:00 a.m.: Registration Opens
- Informal Survivors’ and Caregivers’ Roundtable. Rebecca Lord,
- Getting Involved in ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association. ThyCa Volunteers.
9:00 – 9:10 a.m.: Sara Brenner and Rebecca Lord, ThyCa Volunteers.
9:10 – 9:40 a.m.:
- Survivors and Caregivers Roundtables. Sara Brenner, ThyCa Volunteer.
- Survivors and Caregivers Roundtables. Rebecca Lord, ThyCa Volunteer.
9:40 – 10:50 a.m.:
- Cytopathology. Understanding Thyroid Cancer Types. and Interacting with the Treatment/Testing Team. Yolanda C. Oertel, M.D.
- Coping with Stress from a Thyroid Cancer Diagnosis and Fears about Testing, Treatment, and Possible Recurrence. Joy Paul, L.C.S.W., Social Worker.
- Roundtable: Caregivers’ Role in Patient Support and Advocacy. Todd
Larson, ThyCa Volunteer.
10:50 – 11:00 a.m.: Break - Stretch, Snack, Chat. Free information materials on display.
11:00 – 12:10 p.m.:
- Ask a Surgeon: Thyroid Surgery Basics, Lymph Node Invasion, Neck Dissection, Surgical Treatment of Neck Spread, Spread to Mediastinum, Distant Metastases. Bruce J. Davidson, M.D.
- Roundtable: Workplace Issues: Communicating with Your Employer,
Planning for Time Office, Other Issues. Rebecca Lord, ThyCa Volunteer. .
- Roundtable Discussion: Complementary Approaches to Well-Being:
Massage Therapy, Meditation, Relaxation, Nutrition, Fitness, Support
Groups, Other Approaches. Sally Snyder, ThyCa Volunteer.
12:10 – 1:10 p.m.: Lunch Break. Bring your own or use the hospital cafeteria. Lunch and Learn Conversations with ThyCa Volunteers:
- If You’re New To Thyroid Cancer.
- Physician-Patient Communications..
- Getting Involved in ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association.
1:10 – 2:20 p.m.:
- Thyroid Cancer Management , Including Understanding the new ATA
Guidelines. Jacqueline Jonklaas, M.D., Ph.D. and Marina S. Zemskova,
- Roundtable: Tips for Preparing for a Radioiodine Scan or Treatment, including Coping with Temporary Hypothyroidism, the Low Iodine Diet, the Hospital Stay and Going Home Afterward. Barbara Statas, ThyCa Volunteer.
- Roundtable: Living with Medullary Thyroid Cancer. ThyCa Volunteer.
2:20 – 2:30 p.m.: Break - Stretch, Snack, Chat. Free information materials on display. Fundraiser Raffle Tickets available at the Registration Table.
2:30 – 3:40 p.m.:
- Thyroid Cancer Research: What’s on the Horizon in Thyroid Cancer Treatment and Follow-Up. Kenneth D. Burman, M.D.
- If You're New To Thyroid Cancer. ThyCa Volunteers.
- Roundtable: Living with Thyroid Cancer Over the Long Term. ThyCa Volunteer.
3:40 – 4:00 p.m.: Roundtable: Discussion and Feedback. Fundraiser Drawing.
- Sara Brenner, ThyCa Volunteer.
- Marion Hammond, ThyCa Volunteer.
Roundtable facilitators also include these ThyCa volunteers: Gary Bloom, Gloria Keller, Rebecca Lord, Todd Larson, Sally Snyder, Barb Statas, and Cherry Wunderlich.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS from I-495 (Beltway) (PARKING IS FREE; Parking lots and the Conference Center building (7620 Carroll Avenue) are on the left as you enter from Carroll Avenue. )
- From I-495 in western Montgomery County and Northern Virginia: Take Exit 29B onto MD 193 East/University Blvd East toward Langley Park. Go 1.8 miles and turn slight right onto Carroll Ave/MD-195. Go 0.8 miles to Washington Adventist Hospital, Washington Adventist Hospital, 7600 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park, MD.
- From the "outer loop" of I-495 from Prince George's County and Baltimore: Take Exit 28B, MD 650 South/New Hampshire Avenue toward Takoma Park. Go 1.4 miles and turn slight right onto Piney Branch Road. Go 0.5 miles and turn left onto Carroll Ave/MD 195. Go 1.3 miles to Washington Adventist Hospital, 7600 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park, MD.