Free Newfoundland and Labrador Thyroid Cancer Information Day To Be Held on Saturday, May 28, 2011, in St. John's05/2011
On Saturday, May 28, 2011, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., a Free Thyroid Cancer Workshop/ Information Day will be held in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, at Eastern Health, Conference Room C - Administrative Offices, 306 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John’s. Tea, coffee, and sandwiches will be provided.
This free event is organized and hosted by the ThyCa Newfoundland and Labrador Support Group of ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association. Everyone interested in learning about thyroid cancer, including people at all phases of testing, treatment, and follow-up for thyroid cancer, as well as their caregivers and friends, is welcome to attend.
People may come for part or all of this free day. The Program Schedule is as follows:
- 8:30-9:00 a.m. Registration
- 9:00-9:15 a.m. Welcome – Joanie Bruce, Facilitator, ThyCa Newfoundland and Labrador
- 9:15-10:15 a.m. New Imaging Techniques for the Detection of Thyroid Cancer in Nuclear Medicine. Peter Hollett, M.D., FRCPC, Chief, Division of Nuclear Medicine
- 10:15-10:45 a.m. Nutrition Break
- 10:45-11:45 a.m. New Guidelines From the American Thyroid Association – Individualized Treatment and Follow-up Using Staging and Prognostic Systems. Vikram Chandurkar, M.D., FRCPC, Assistant Professor, Division of Endocrinology
- 11:45-12:30 p.m.Lunch – Tea, coffee, and sandwiches provided
- 12: 30-1:30 p.m. Nutrition, Low Iodine Diet, & Thyroid Cancer. Gerri Anne Devereaux, Dietitian
- 1:30-3:00 p.m. Roundtable: Challenges of Coping with Thyroid Cancer and Handling Full Time Work, Family Responsibilities, or Both. Joanie Bruce, Ida Marrie, & Grace Dean, ThyCa Newfoundland and Labrador Thyroid Cancer Support Group
- 3:00 -3:15 p.m. Wrap-up – feedback and suggestions
Resource Tables will provide free materials with educational and support information.
Register either online, or onsite on the day of the workshop, or use the form at www.thyca.org/sg/nf-lab/.
Driving directions and a map are available on the web site of the ThyCa Newfoundland and Labrador Support Group.
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Joanie Bruce 709-227-2784 or Ida P. Marrie 709-726-1125
ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization providing person-to-person support, support groups, the free downloadable Low-Iodine Cookbook, free online newsletter, information packets, awareness materials, free one-day workshops, and many more resources to thyroid cancer survivors, their families, and the public at no charge.
ThyCa also funds thyroid cancer research grants, sponsors Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month in September, and will hold the 14th International Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Conference in Los Angeles, California, on October 14-16, 2011.
For more information, visit www.thyca.org, write PO Box 1102, Olney, MD 20830-1102, call toll-free to 877-588-7904, fax to 630-604-6078, or e-mail to email@example.com.