Free New Jersey Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Workshop Will Feature Physician Speakers, Personal Trainer, and Survivor/Caregiver Roundtables03/2009
On Saturday, April 18, 2009, everyone interested in thyroid cancer is invited to the New Jersey Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Workshop. ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc., will offer this FREE one-day workshop for thyroid cancer survivors, their families, caregivers, and friends.
This educational and supportive event, will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the South Jersey Healthcare Fitness Connection, 1430 West Sherman Avenue, Vineland, New Jersey 08360.
This event is free. You may attend part, or all, of the workshop. You may register online at www.thyca.org (form is available on the web site) or onsite at the workshop.
Physician speakers and survivor/caregiver roundtables will be on the day’s program. Topics will include:
- Thyroid Cancer Questions & Answers
- Thyroid Cancer Surgery
- Post Operative Surveillance & Follow-Up Testing
- Dealing with Fatigue
- The Doctor-Patient Relationship & Patient Advocacy
- Survivor/Caregiver Support Group Roundtables
Featured Speakers include:
- Andrew Steven Heller, M.D., Surgeon, South Jersey Healthcare/Regional Medical Center in Vineland, NJ, as well as Elmer NJ Division, and Kessler Memorial Hospital, Hammonton, NJ. Dr. Heller is certified by the American Board of Surgery, American Board of Thoracic Surgery, and American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers. He has been Assistant Clinical Instructor in Surgery at the State University of New York in Buffalo, NY, School of Medicine, and is currently Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Surgery UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson School at Camden, NJ
- Glenda Smith, M.D. Attending Radiation Oncologist, South Jersey Healthcare System since 2000. Previously she spent 9 years at Temple University as an Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology. She is certified by the American Board of Radiology.
- Brittany Raup, Personal Trainer, South Jersey Healthcare Fitness Connection. Ms. Raup is an
AAAI/ISMA (American Aerobic Association International/International Sports Medicine Association) Certified Personal Trainer, as well as Rowan University Certified Cholesterol Screener, American Red Cross Certified Heartsaver CPR and AED training for infants, children, and adults, and Certified in First Aid by the American Red Cross.
In addition, a Thyrogen representative will be available to answer questions about Thyrogen access/insurance issues when using Thyrogen in preparing for radioiodine ablation after surgery, and in followup testing and monitoring of the most common types of thyroid cancer.
Visit ThyCa's web site at www.thyca.org for further details about the speakers, program, and directions.
The workshop is sponsored by ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc. (www.thyca.org) ThyCa is a national nonprofit 501(C) (3) organization providing person-to-person support, support groups, the free downloadable Low-Iodine Cookbook, free online newsletters, awareness materials, free one-day workshops, and other resources to thyroid cancer survivors, their families, and the public at no charge. ThyCa also funds thyroid cancer research grants, sponsors Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month in September, and will hold the 12th International Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Conference in Boston, Massachusetts, on October 16-18, 2009.
More information can be obtained by visiting www.thyca.org, writing to PO Box 1545, New York, NY 10159-1545, calling toll-free to 877-588-7904, faxing 630-604-6078, or e-mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.